Wednesday, February 25, 2009

British English vs. Malaysian English

Assalamualaikum all! This was taken from Cikma. Happy reading! ;)

A good comparison ..

*British English vs. Malaysian English**
*
*
Who says our English is teruk? Just read below - Ours is
simple, short,
concise, straight-to- the-point, effective etc.*
*
WHEN GIVING A CUSTOMER BAD NEWS*
Britons: I'm sorry, sir, but we don't seem to have
the sweater you want in
your size, but if you give me a moment, I can call the
other outlets for
you.
Malaysians: No stock.
*
RETURNING A CALL*
Britons: Hello, this is John Smith. Did anyone call for me
a few moments
ago?
Malaysians: Hello, who call?

*
ASKING SOMEONE TO MAKE WAY*
Britons: Excuse me, I would like to get by. Would you
please make way?
Malaysians: S-kew me.
*
WHEN SOMEONE OFFERS TO PAY *
Britons: Hey! Put your wallet away, this drink is on me.
Malaysians: No need lah.
*
WHEN ASKING FOR PERMISSION*
Britons: Excuse me, but do you think it would be possible
for me to enter
through this door?
Malaysians: (pointing at the door) Can ah?

*
WHEN ENTERTAINING*
Britons: Please make yourself right at home.
malaysians: No need shy shy one lah!
*
WHEN DOUBTING SOMEONE *
Britons: I don't recall you giving me the money.
Malaysians: Where got?
*
WHEN DECLINING AN OFFER*
Britons: I would prefer not to do that, if you don't
mind.
Malaysians : Don't want lah.
*
IN DISAGREEING ON A TOPIC OF DISCUSSION*
Britons: Err...Tom, I have to stop you there. I understand
where you're
coming from, but I really have to disagree with what you
said about the
issue.
Malaysians: You mad ah?
*
WHEN ASKING SOMEONE TO LOWER THEIR VOICE.*
Britons: Excuse me, but could you please lower your voice?
I'm trying to
concentrate over here.
Malaysians: Shut up lah!
*
WHEN ASKING SOMEONE IF HE/SHE KNOWS YOU.*
Britons: Excuse me, but I noticed you staring at me for
sometime. Do I know
you?
Malaysians: You see what ?
*
WHEN ASSESSING A TIGHT SITUATION*.
Britons: We seem to be in a bit of a predicament at the
moment.
Malaysians: Die lah!!

*
WHEN TRYING TO FIND OUT WHAT HAD HAPPENED*
Britons: Will someone tell me what has just happened?
Malaysians: What happened ah? Why like that one lah?
*
WHEN SOMEONE DID SOMETHING WRONG*
Britons: This isn't the way to do it. Here, let me show
you.
Malaysians: Like that also don't know how to do!
*
WHEN ONE IS ANGRY*
Britons: Would you mind not disturbing me?
Malaysians: Celaka you!

LOL

12 comments:

Afrezal Karim said...

Nice one .. lol

Anonymous said...

hehe..Malaysia BO-LEH!!

Dyat said...

ringkas dan padat!
haha

Suburbanzero said...

malaysian lah...hehe

Hilman Nordin said...

Excuse me, but I am afraid that I have to break this news to you. In my opinion this is hilarious!

teringat zaman2 MUET dulu nak praktis cakap betul2. kalau nak disagree tu cakap baik2..

LOL!

mAshe said...

so true dat. screw british! hahaha.

FaHim aL said...

haha..pengalaman ke jamil?

Suburbanzero said...

pengalaman mende nye...hahaha

Anonymous said...

erm...
bukan simple
tapi artikel mcm nak perlekehkan malaysian
mcm kita takde adab bila cakap
tak gitu?

Anonymous said...

eloww..so happened tat i read the malaysian english thing..sorry to say..tats chinese english..not malaysian english..so happened..

Anonymous said...

something tat shouldnt be proud of..jus to say wat i feel k..no offence..tcre

Suburbanzero said...

i agree with u Anonymous...as a malaysian, we shouldn't...but it's happening in our own life...

Enough

Assalamualaikum and Good day readers, How're you lads? I hope all of you are doing fine there. How about me? Well, I'm alhamdul...

Followers